Summer 2010 Volume 26, Issue 3
special mini-edition by Alice Simon, TNFC Store Manager
Where do we begin? Where is the FIRESTARTER you may ask?
Well we don’t have a volunteer for that task at the moment but we hope someone will be interested in doing it very soon. How about you? Seriously, if interested let store management know or contact a board member. In the meantime this is an update from the store regarding upcoming projects, events, and store news.
Looking Up--The Roof
If you have visited the store in recent months you may have seen buckets in various locations as we have a very leaky roof. We have received 3 bids on roofing work and have selected a contractor for the job which is due to begin very soon. We are going to replace the old roof and insulate the new roof. This insulation should qualify for a rebate from the PUD. We are looking forward to more warmth in the winter and more efficient cooling in the summer. The best part? No more leaks!
How does this get paid for? Well we have received a grant from the Faire which will cover about half and we have been having various fundraising events during the Spring to build up the Improvement Fund to cover the rest.
Alas, we have additional needs, like a crumbling floor and an aged produce case just to mention a few things. We continue to have fundraising events that everyone can participate in and hopefully raise the necessary funds to keep the store in good repair.
August Flea Market
The next event is planned for August 28th at the CCC.
We are having a yard sale /flea market! This will be an all day event and we are asking for your support! Please consider donating your good, sellable, gently used items to benefit the Co-op Improvement Fund.
You may also have your own table for vending for $10.00. Please consider donating a portion of your profit to the Improvement Fund. Volunteers are needed to sort goods, set-up, man tables, serve refreshments, and clean-up. If you have time to volunteer for this fundraising event please stop by the store and give your name and phone number to Julie or Alice.
Unsold donated goods will be donated to charities. Refreshments will be available by donation.
We will feature a table of Silpada Designs Sterling Silver Jewelry. This table will have samples on display and catalog orders will be taken. There will also be some selected items available for immediate cash sale.
Cash, checks and credit cards may be used for catalog orders. 25% of all catalog sales will be donated to the Improvement Fund. This line of jewelry has something for every taste and every budget.
We will be accepting donations for the yard sale from 10 – 4 on Wed. Aug 25 in the Co-op Garden Room. Please box or bag your goods before bringing them.
Bring your friends & family and have fun shopping while supporting the Improvement Fund and your Co-op.
More events are in the planning stage and there will be more info coming. If you have suggestions for fundraising events please let us know.
Love the outdoors? Jessica McNamara, our long time garden volunteer would love some help in this area. She has been doing this for many years and would like to step back from being the “one and only” Let us know if you can help out.
In the store...
- you will once again find a selection of Alaffia skin care products. These are wonderful sustainable products that we are sure you will enjoy.
- The Derma –E skin care line has been expanded and has gained a loyal following. This is a great line of skincare products with something for every skin type.
- We have expanded our Gluten –Free product selection due to customer demand. Check out all the new offerings.
- As always, look throughout the store for new items and “member’s sales.” We are always bringing in new and interesting products to keep good variety in the store and reflect current trends.
- In our produce department we are featuring many locally grown fruits and vegetables. If you didn’t plant a garden and missed the Farmer’s Market please check out our newly revamped produce department. We support our local family farms as much as possible.
- Stop in and say hello to Liz Phares who has joined our staff at the front end. Liz brings a lot of great business experience and will be an asset to our wonderful staff.
The Co-op News is published as a service to the members of the Tonasket Natural Foods Co-op.
Editing, typesetting and layout by guest editor Alice Simon. Online layout by highlandwebs
Letters and articles are welcome from members. Deadline for articles is the 24th of each month. Please email your submission for consideration to us at .
Views expressed in The FireStarter are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Co-op management, directors, or membership. Acceptance of advertising does not indicate endorsement by the Co-op of the produce/ service offered.